PLYMOUTH – The check is in the mail. Well, actually, the contract is in the mail.
Michele Pecoraro, executive director of Plymouth 400, was informed this week that the state will make good on its promise to support the town’s 400th anniversary celebration, with a contribution of $125,000….
The money was, it seems, never gone. It had been approved, just never allocated. But with the $700 million budget deficit the Baker administration is facing it was probably in greater jeopardy than ever.
“That’s when I really got on this,” deMacedo told the Old Colony this week, “when I heard that the (deficit) numbers were even larger than they had originally anticipated.”
Beginning in early January, deMacedo began to call and email anyone with influence, arguing for the significance of the 400th anniversary celebration, and making the case that if those funds were not forthcoming, Plymouth 400 might have to shut down for the year.
“I made the argument that it would be, if not devastating, very difficult for Plymouth 400 to maintain forward momentum without these funds,” deMacedo said. “I know that everyone accepts that this is a big deal, for Plymouth and the state, but they also think it’s a long way off.
“I pointed out that for Plymouth 2020 is just around the corner, and that the town has been working on this for six or seven years now,” deMacedo said.
Read Full Article February 16, 2015 Source: Wicked Local/Old Colony Memorial